The review will consider:
- the extent to which the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers (Teacher Standards) drive teacher quality and how this could be strengthened
- how to improve teacher registration arrangements in Australia, with a focus on:
- the current registration operating arrangements
- enhancements to better embed the Teacher Standards and strengthen teacher quality
- how best to implement recommendations, considering legislative, regulatory, administrative and resourcing contexts
- expected benefits and success measures for the implementation of the recommended reforms
- early childhood teacher registration, VET teacher registration, and the transition of initial teacher education students into the profession.
The Teacher Standards themselves, and the Accreditation of Initial Teacher Education Programs in Australia: Standards and Procedures are out of scope.
The recommendations of the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse that relate to teacher registration will be taken into account in the review.
More information on the scope of the review is available from the Terms of Reference (PDF, 28 KB).
An independent Expert Panel will undertake the review. The panel includes:
- Mr Chris Wardlaw PSM (Expert Panel Chair) - Chair of the Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority (VCAA), and Deputy Chair of the Australian Institute for Teaching and School Leadership (AITSL).
- Ms Pitsa Binnion - Principal of McKinnon Secondary College, Victoria.
- Mr Marino D’Ortenzio - Assistant Principal at Epping Secondary College, Victoria and Honorary Deputy Vice President (Secondary), AEU Victorian Branch's Executive.
- Mr David Gee - Headmaster, Wesley College, Western Australia
- Dr Peter Lind - Registrar of the Teachers Registration Board of South Australia.
- Mr Anthony McClaran - Chief Executive Officer of the Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency.
- Emeritus Professor Wendy Patton - Chair of the Queensland College of Teachers’ Board, and Emeritus Professor Queensland University of Technology.
- Ms Gabrielle Sinclair - Chief Executive Officer of the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
- Ms Christine Wilkinson - Secondary teacher at St Joseph's Catholic College in East Gosford, NSW, and President of the Independent Education Union of Australia NSW/ACT Branch.
- Mr Dennis Yarrington - President of the Australian Primary Principals Association.
More information is available from the Expert Panel Member Biographies (PDF, 339KB).