This report seeks to address:
• the relevant national and international research relating to effective supervision of preservice teachers engaged in professional experience
• the current policies, procedures and practices in each Australian school sector and system to support the supervision of preservice teachers’ professional experience
• the current policies, procedures and practices of each Australian provider of initial teacher education to support the supervision of preservice teachers’ professional experience
• relevant policies, procedures and practices in three professions outside of education, where the development of preservice professionals is comparable and the provision of support for the supervision of preservice professional experiences is evident
• the links between factors significantly influencing the success of preservice teacher supervision and outcomes for students
• parameters or key questions for AITSL to consider in the development of possible online professional learning tools and supports for supervising teachers, school leaders, employers and providers of initial teacher education to promote excellence in preservice teacher supervision.
AITSL intends to use this literature review and environmental scan to inform the design and implementation of online professional learning resources for supervising teachers.