Supporting and promoting teacher and school leader professional learning is essential to the nation’s efforts to drive equity and excellence for all young Australians. In this way, AITSL, in collaboration with stakeholders across school education sectors and systems, contributes actively to young Australians achieving the goals established in the Melbourne Declaration as successful learners, confident and creative individuals and active and informed citizens.
- affirms the importance of learning in improving the professional knowledge, practice and engagement of all teachers and school leaders to achieve improvement in student outcomes,
- articulates the expectation that all teachers and school leaders actively engage in professional learning throughout their careers; and
- describes the characteristics of a high quality professional learning culture and of effective professional learning, to assist teachers, school leaders and those who support them to get the most from their professional learning.
Built upon a strong evidence base, the Charter:
- outlines the importance of professional learning,
- describes qualities of a professional learning culture,
- articulates characteristics of effective professional learning; and
- describes a shared responsibility commitment.