- Understand the protocols for contacting families.
- Identify the Learning Diversity Leaders and/or NCCD coordinators in your school and discuss your student/s.
- Contact the student with a disability to introduce yourself to your student and their family.
- Contact the service providers and allied health professionals who support your students with disability, introduce yourself.
- Keep relevant notes that will help you connect with the student such as information about their cultural background, hobbies and interests, strengths and areas of focus etc.
- Undertake in regular check in times when you can have conversations, these can be a mixture of informal and formal meetings.
- Consult with other educational professionals who have taught and know your student such as other teachers and teaching assistants.
(see AITSL’s Inclusive education fact sheet for teachers: Connecting with Teacher Assistants)