If you are considering relocating, where possible, you should attend the interview in person. Face-to-face interviews provide you with an opportunity to get to know the leaders and experience the culture of the school and the community.
Consider the following activities during and after your interview:
- Tour the school
- Tour the township
- Stay the night
- Visit a real estate agent
- What is the supply of accommodation?
- What type of accommodation?
- What are the costs of accommodation?
- Ask questions about how they deal with distance and professional development and professional networking
- Ask questions about mentors – school and community
- What are the sporting options?
- What arts and cultural events happen?
- What service groups and clubs are in the area?
- Ask questions about other new teachers’ experiences in regards to distance and/or overcoming potential isolation and becoming part of the community
- Ask about the school’s cultural induction.