Australian Charter for the Professional Learning of Teachers and School Leaders
Supporting and promoting teacher and school leader professional learning is essential to the nation’s efforts to drive equity and excellence for all young Australians. In this way, AITSL, in collaboration with stakeholders across school education sectors and systems, contributes actively to young Australians achieving the goals established in the Melbourne Declaration as successful learners, confident and creative individuals and active and informed citizens.
The Charter will a nurture a nation-wide, high-achieving and vibrant professional learning culture
- underpinned by the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers and Australian Professional Standard for Principals;
- and alongside the Australian Teacher Performance and Development Framework
- affirms the importance of learning in improving the professional knowledge, practice and engagement of all teachers and school leaders to achieve improvement in student outcomes,
- articulates the expectation that all teachers and school leaders actively engage in professional learning throughout their careers; and
- describes the characteristics of a high quality professional learning culture and of effective professional learning, to assist teachers, school leaders and those who support them to get the most from their professional learning.
Built upon a strong evidence base, the Charter:
- outlines the importance of professional learning,
- describes qualities of a professional learning culture,
- articulates characteristics of effective professional learning; and
- describes a shared responsibility commitment.
The Australian Charter for the Professional Learning of Teachers and School Leaders 256KB PDF
Frequently Asked Questions 548KB PDF
Charter Fact Sheet 672KB PDF
Performance & Development Framework
Charter stimulus cards 99KB PDF
Charter stimulus cards support guide 214KB PDF
Understanding the Charter presentation (AITSL branded) 2.8MB PPTX
Understanding the Charter presentation (Non-AITSL branded) 2.1MB PPTX